Mar 1, 2022
Have you long desired a career
path that aligns with your personal joys and values, AND allows you
to make a comfortable living? Roshan Paul has spent his
professional life helping nearly 10,000 people from over sixty-five
countries accelerate their careers in social impact. Today, he’s
sharing his top tips for how you can make a living and make a
difference, all at the same time.”
“The New Reason to Work: How to
Build a Career that Will Change the World”,
Roshan shares his story of how that can be possible.
Roshan Paul is the co-founder of Amani Institute, an award-winning
global social enterprise that helps individuals align their working
life with the life they want to lead. Prior to Amani Institute, Roshan worked with
Ashoka for a decade, where he designed and launched programs that
supported over 500 social entrepreneurs (Ashoka Fellows) around the
world. Raised in Bangalore, India, Roshan has a master’s in Public
Policy from the Harvard Kennedy School and a bachelor’s in
International Political Economy from Davidson College. He has
guest-lectured or spoken at conferences at over fifty universities
and other institutions around the world, including Harvard,
Dartmouth, Georgetown, and the World Bank.
Listen in for a deep dive into
how you can build a career around your values to simultaneously
make a living and make an impact.
[00:01 - 10:40] Opening Segment
- Roshan shares a little bit of his
- Growing up in India.
- Moving to the USA.
- Violence and terrorist attacks.
- Return to India to work in non-profits and
- Starting his own
- The Amani Institute in Africa.
- The global recession in 2008.
- A transition towards careers of social
- The global pandemic.
- Reevaluate: Having meaningful work and
[10:41 - 31:10] Make a Living or Make a
Difference? You Don’t Have to Choose
- Opportunity mentality vs thread
- Diversity, inclusion, equity, etc.
- Roshan explains what impact means.
- Careers where the primary intention is trying
to make a difference or solve a problem in society.
- Dichotomy: Doing good or doing
- Social impact practice.
- How mentality about work is
- Basic needs and social prestige in the
- Making an impact in the world.
- Ability to contribute.
- Achieve potential.
- How much time do people want to spend in the
office and at home?
- Move back to offices in a different
- Technology will keep improving to help people
- Bring out the best in humanity and amplify our
future on The Goodness Exchange
- More information on how you can join in
[31:11 - 51:40] How to Become an Innovative
- Roshan’s insights about what being an innovator
in our lives mean.
- The super skill that all people can
- Creative-problem solving.
- Creativity is a set of behaviors and skills
that people can put into practice.
- Ask more questions.
- Uncover different elements of a
- Living the problem.
- Immerse yourself to understand what is going on
in a particular situation.
- How you look at the situation and come up with
a radically different way of looking at the same thing.
- Taking ideas from one area and applying them to
- Finding the flip.
- Understanding what is a behavior change that
technology is going to lead to.
- Doing is the best way of thinking.
- Learning truly comes when you do
[51:41 - 54:35] Closing Segment
- Start to do something that helps you learn
- How to connect with Roshan and his
- Give a review and rating, and share this
episode with others
- Final announcements
“People are redefining what
work is about, what it should be about, and that is going to
continue around the road” - Roshan Paul
“If we’re going to solve
problems we have around society, we need to be able to come up with
new ideas and new solutions for it.” - Roshan Paul
“The more questions you ask,
the better will be, and the more you’ll understand” - Roshan
Connect with Roshan on
LinkedIn. Go and visit The New Reason to Work and build a career that will change the
Conspiracy of Goodness Links:
The Goodness Exchange
The Goodness Exchange - Become a
Goodness Exchange Social Media Links: